Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Lonely Wanderer

The question was posed on what community any of us would like to join now or in the future. Seeing as my future is relatively uncertain, I cannot say with any knowledge what community I want to or would likely join. If I could have my way, I would likely join the foreign service. Ambassador Quainton only reinforced my deep craving to do this when he told his wild stories of traveling the world.

On the same note, I would love to become a member of the Peace Corps. Right now, this is about as easy as getting into Harvard Law, and if the economy and unemployment do not improve, it will not be any better by the time I graduate. However, with these two examples leading my list, it is safe to say that I wish to enter the international community. Having been raised by travel junkies, it has always been my wildest dream to travel the world. Ideally, I could do it all. I want to join the elite group of expatriated artists. I want sit and drink coffee and absynthe alongside modern Hemingways. I want to join the Peace Corps and to make a difference with people too poor to make the small changes that would improve their lives forever. I want to join the foreign service and to rub elbows with the world's elite, playing hardball with dictators.

That last one is a lie. Though the first two examples have been in my dreams since I have been literate, the final one has never interested me in the power sense. However to join the foreign service is still an opportunity I could never pass up.

This blog was rambling and back-stepping for a reason. It represents the life I have idealized: trying everything and backing off when you do not like it, but following the threads that you do. In essence, this is the community that I want to join, the backpack-laden twenty-somethings searching for truth abroad. But I'm sure my mind will wander even from this.

4 comments:

  1. I'm confused and maybe naive. Why is getting into the Peace Corps like getting into Harvard Law? I thought AU has one of the largest number of students going to the Peace Corps compared to any other college in the nation.

    And your idea to rub elbows with the worlds elite and play hardball with dictators is what the world needs. (Not the rubbing elbows part, but the playing hardball part). If more people who got into politics for this idea and then stuck with this noble idea (of making a differnce and standing up to dictators) then this world would be a much different place.

    I hope at our 20 year reunion, you are able to tell me you made it to one of these comumunities.
    -Sasafras

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, I'm not gonna lie. That sounds pretty much exactly like what I want to do. Power does not interest me in the slightest, all I really want to do is travel the world and help people. Also, you don't need to join the Peace Corps to make a difference. There are a huge number of other organizations willing to help you to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear it. I don't want to join the peace corps only to change the world, but also because I just really want to go. dont get me wrong, Im down to do other stuff too. The peace corps is like harvard law right now because so many people are applying due to the job market and all of them are as highly qualified as those applying to harvard law. As far as playing hardball, I agree that it is important, but as the present time it is just not as much my style. Maybe later. Glad you guys liked the post though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of just travleing but the concept of home is just too strongly rooted in my psyche to just wander. The idea is attractive but without a base camp I just couldn't be a wanderer

    ReplyDelete