Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Question 13: Lights, Camera, Action

If I could join any community, it would be the acting community. It's always been a really lame dream of mine to be a film actress.

I love art in all its forms, from music, to drawing, writing, and acting. And I've always loved trying to understand people. Acting sort of encompasses this freedom of expression, with understanding the human mind and interactions. The minute details that can make or break a performance I think are so interesting. There's something so raw in pulling feelings straight out of your gut and putting them out for all to see.

I was a teaching assistant for an acting camp over the summer, and I never felt so in my element, helping people to act, critiquing, and pushing them to go a step further. There was one monologue where I remember this girl was supposed to be speaking to a guy in a coma. Her first line was "John?" and we had her completely leave the room before she started and then walk in. When she said her first line, everyone in the room felt it like a stab in the heart. It's the little things like that that make me want to act.

I have no problem with being on camera, for the most part. If you give me a script or a line, I can do it for you. The issue is that I can't ever watch myself. I HATE the sound of my voice, I think it's so obnoxious. And I can't bear to watch all the mistakes I've made and the idiot I'm being. But I have no problem with the process.

But to be a part of the acting community would be amazing. Even though they're all whiny drama queens. I just think the profession is so intense and interesting. It's not even as exciting as they make it seem in those "making of" videos. It's actually incredibly boring and repetitive. But I still want to be a part of that process, because it seems like a real challenge.

I'm majoring in film right now with the intention of directing, which is probably as close as I'll ever get to acting. I'm probably a better actress in my head than in real life anyway.

3 comments:

  1. ALLISON! DO IT! Take some acting classes, audition for a play/musical, start your own group! Please do it! I am admittedly pretty bad at acting, but I love to do it, and did it through high school, so I auditioned for the musical and got a chorus part! I'm sure you could somehow get involved if you wanted to and all you gotta do is go for it! I probably just set the record for number of exclamation points in a comment, so that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great choice! I wanted to be a comedian for a hot second when I was a little kid. I wanted to be in movies like Austin Powers or So I Married an Axe Murderer. I just realized that I hate doing anything in front of large groups of people, so that dream went down the drain!
    I completely agree with your analysis of the acting profession. Acting is a form of psychology, where you try to replicate how an specific individual would react or interact in certain situations.
    I agree with Brad! Try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sheer number of successful actors who can't stand to watch their movies is astronimical. It means you aren't a narcissist and will probably be better to work with as an actress. I think you should give it a try because if you never do you'll just spend you're life as a director wondering why you didn't

    ReplyDelete