Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Six Feet Under .... My thoughts on funerals

My first blog post EVER! =)


After reading some of the blogs on other groups, I realised that many people think that Goffman is being quite disrespectful. I guess that technically it is a bit depressing to think that people do stage funerals but I've seen it happen.

I've been singing in a church choir for many years and we've been asked to sing for lots of funerals and weddings. My mother actually doesn't like weddings because of how they seem to be like performances and I think some funerals tend to be like that as well.

Our choir members usually don't know the family well, so when we arrive at the church I would put on a sort of passive expression because you don't want to look too happy. So in a way, my choir is part of the performance. I think this applies to most of the people who are attending the funeral.

If we look at the ones who are mourning the loss of their friend/relative, they sometimes put on a show as well. People become so concerned with the impression they leave on the guests that they come up with a perfect program. This is evident in the eulogies which are pre-written and usually only comment on the deceased person's good attributes. I do not mean to say that the family member's are not genuinely mourning the loss of a relative but the point I am trying to make is that they do in fact end up putting on a show for the crowd, whether they know it or not.

I compare Goffman's theory of the group performance to most weddings. Weddings are lovely but nearly all are staged. The couple picks a special Bible reading (if it's a religious wedding), the best outfits, flowers and some even invent their own traditions.

I hope you enjoy this example =) I know I did!

So overall I think that Goffman knows what he's talking about and even though his theory might
not apply to a funeral you've been to.... that event is probably the exception and not the rule.






No comments:

Post a Comment