Sunday, November 22, 2009

BONUS Question

The American Indian Museum was more than I expected. I had always seen the building from afar but it's so much more amazing when you're standing right next to it. I made a comment to my friend that it felt strange because of the crops and plants surrounding ... it didn't feel like downtown DC anymore.
The first thing I noticed when I entered the museum was how simple the decor was. The architecture was the main focus. From outside, the shape of the building was obscure but from inside it was clear that it was a tepee.
The museum expressed the values of the American Indians. I was unable to explore the museum fully but I loved the floor with all the different tribes. The exhibits were well laid out and each tribe display was located in a room of the tepee - the tepee being the building. Each section was a remembrance of who these people were and what they believed in. From what I remember, the museum never criticised the Native American way of life. It felt like the museum was in honor of the American Indians. The night after our visit, I was thinking that there wasn't any section about the killing of the Indians. Did anyone see this anywhere? It wasn't like about their history exactly because it didn't include their extinction. I suppose that it's more a celebration of American Indian culture than the actual events over the years.

2 comments:

  1. I did see some part of an exhibit that talked about the conquests of American Indian people and how the Europeans brought terrible diseases that wiped out so many people. I also saw this weaponry exhibit that showed the introduction of guns by Europeans and it documented and explained that a bit. So in a sense there was some acceptance of blame on the settlers part in the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! now that you say that I remember seeing the showcase with the guns as well.

    ReplyDelete