Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Issue of Wealth and Poverty

How a society "deals with the problem of wealth and poverty" is definitely a major factor in the overall health of that society. I agree with 'Joe's' blog on this topic. He writes that issues of poverty and wealth have always impacted revolutions in the past. This book mainly focuses on American culture but many of the theories can work for many other countries such as mine of Trinidad and Tobago.
Different degrees of prosperity among citizens creates many problems. It often results in a division in a society depending on how much money someone has.
I don't mean to say that societies aren't affected by other things but I do agree that it is a main factor to consider. Some other areas may include issues of race and gender. Although as 'Chips and Salsa' pointed out to me in the lounge (she's sitting down right next to me), races and minorities in particular are usually linked to different classes of wealth. If you consider gender then this could bring up some more issues but I do not think that this is a major factor to be considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment