Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Analysis Question #6

I think that Augustine's confessions/autobiography would have done much better if it were more like Ellison's book. I don't believe it really matters if a memoir is fictional or nonfictional as long is it is believable easy to read. Most of the reason I didn't like Augustine is because he spoke in a language that was hard to understand, and for me, the religious aspect was hard to relate to and I couldn't follow it as easily. The Invisible Man, on the other hand, is still not relatable but much easier to read because Ellison makes it sound more like a story. Even though the story is fictional, it is believable because at the time, this way of life was common. I also like how it is a memoir all the way through, whereas Augustine was much more philosophical. I Augustine, he complains about how he feels guilty for stealing pears and such, but in The Invisible Man, the main character is dealing with much more serious issues. This makes me like Ellison's memoir much more. How could I be interested in a man who feels guilty about stolen pears when the man in The Invisible Man is dealing with racism at its worst?

No comments:

Post a Comment