Sunday, September 13, 2009

Portrait Gallery

It's no secret that I love photos, which is why I was so excited about our trip to the Portrait Gallery. The trip was everything I had hoped for and more. What I didn't expect was the amount of history that the gallery held. I loved the was in which each portrait told someone's story and even though I may not have known all the subjects and their importance in American history, I left the museum with new information.

I really loved it when the tour guide quizzed us on the Washington portrait =) She was intelligent and I think she did a great job. The way she made us analyse certain pieces by asking us questions about what we saw in the portraits was really interesting. (For example, with the Rosa Parks piece)

One of my favourite portraits was the one of George Washington Carver. As we entered the room and I turned to see that portrait, it really caught my attention. It evoked a sense of peace and simplicity. I have to say that I don't know much about him but from what I read on the caption, I had already understood just by watching the painting. It was beautiful.


I was a bit disappointed that we only had enough time to see a minor portion of the gallery. I did, however, end up going back to the museum on Friday with my cousin. On my return trip, I saw areas with viewing benches. I just thought I'd mention that since we spoke about the absence of these in the areas we looked at.
I hope to make it back there soon because I still haven't seen the entire gallery.


No comments:

Post a Comment