Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Augustine on "Sin"

To be honest, I think Augustine sounds a bit melodramatic. I mean, he is freaking out about stealing a pear? Going to a public show? I don't really understand what he is really trying to get at with this idea of "sin". 

Someone brought up the point that he might just be confessing these "sins" to make what he's going through more relatable, and maybe it will cause others to stop sinning as well. It's hard to say exactly what he's trying to get at. Is he truly just trying to relieve himself of guilt? Does he really feel guilt for what he did? Why is he confessing all this to the reader, does he want the reader to respond in a certain way?

I think for me, Augustine's ideas about sin don't really appeal to me. I have never stolen pears, but I highly doubt I would think twice about it, or freak out as much as Augustine. I also think that it is hard for me to understand what Augustine is getting at because of my religious background. I'm actually very unobservant of Judaism and don't really believe in God, so it is hard for me to understand a lot of what Augustine refers to. I'm not even sure if it matters or if I'm just struggling on my own. 

I don't think Augustine's ideas of "sin" helped his product at all and if anything made me like the book less. It made him sound overly dramatic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment