Sunday, September 20, 2009

National Cathedral

The National Cathedral was awesome. When we first arrived and we were walking towards the building, I was amazed at the size of it. I had seen pictures but I hadn't imagined it being quite so large and complex inside.
I loved how the cathedral was split into many different types of chapels which were all beautiful. The design and workmanship of the altars were stunning.
One of my favourite parts was chapel near the main altar. (to the left) I thought that it was so cool that it was one piece and not all separate pieces stuck together. Overall, the craftsmanship in that cathedral was admirable.


I actually was a bit confused about how the different faiths could share the cathedral but when I saw how it was divided; it made a lot more sense to me. (One thing that I learnt from the trip was that the Episcopal Church uses the Crucifix. I had always thought that it was mainly a Catholic symbol but in the cathedral there were many crucifixes visible.)

I think that the National Cathedral signifies unity due to the fact that it is for people of all faiths. It reminds me of how back home we generally tolerate other beliefs really well, as we have a history of varied cultures. We don't have cathedrals available for the use of multiple religions, but we live our everyday lives doing what this cathedral signifies, and that is appreciating other religions instead of ignoring them.




No comments:

Post a Comment