Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Response #2: I Love You and Buddha Too

Seven inches tall while sitting in the lotus position, this bronze-brushed Buddha can keep me calm. His hands clasp together and that knowing smile lingers on his face and he sits pensively around the tea light in front of him.
As odd as it may seem, my little piece of home that I brought to American with me is represented by a 7-inch statue of the Siddhartha himself. This Target special piece of my life is actually representative of my eclectic room at home, which contains other statues of Buddha, prayer flags, a painting of Gandhi and other various emblems of mildly conflicting philosophies. To me, this faux relic represents my immense interest in various (peaceful) philosophies that originate around the world, as well as my personal belief in universal truth and religious coexistence. I am uncomfortably aware, however, that the presence of various religious and philosophical symbols can also be read as the mark of a poser fronting as a religious eclectic while actually sporting symbols of opposing philosophies.
Upon consultation with my roommate, he says that my little Buddha says that I am in touch with my inner self, that I like peace and harmony with the world and others, and that I think a lot about life. Others say that I am zen-like, like to be calm, and like to be surrounded by things that are as calm as me.
I tend to hope that my roommate is right and that I come off as a calm person rather than a conflicted one. I am glad to be reassured that the Buddha is performing its intended identity, though I feel guilty in referring to it for a tool of identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment