Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Question 2: Topper's Horseshoe

This summer I basically moved out of my house and into the dusty stable of a twenty year old chestnut thoroughbred horse.

I used to ride when I was younger, and then picked it up again two and a half years ago, regretting ever having stopped. It wasn't long before I started working at the stables as a tack girl (aka slave girl) cleaning the horses, preparing them for lessons, cleaning saddles, and all other odd and dirty jobs. Pulling out ice from the water buckets with my bare hands in the middle of winter was one of my favorites.

But it was worth it, because I loved those horses so damn much.


I was determined to save the money to lease my own horse before college, if only for a month. It ended up being a little bit more because the staff snuck me some extra days, but however long it was, it was possibly the best time of my life.

His name was Topper, and I fell in love with him before I even opened the stall door. He was sweet and goofy and seeing him made me forget everything else in the world.


I cried harder on my last day with Topper than I did for college. There really can't even be a comparison between the two.

And for that reason, one of Topper's horseshoes, which came directly from his foot, is now hanging above my bed. It's meant show everyone that I not only love horses but one horse in particular, and that I have more than an interest in the animals but a real passion for them.


According to my roommate, the fact that the horseshoe is so worn means that it wasn't just bought at a store, but was actually from a horse at the stables. It means that I love horses and riding is something that I miss doing. I think that that was basically my intention, becuase I suppose it's really not obvious to people that there is one horse in particular that I miss the most! I mean, there's only so much information you can gather from a horseshoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment