Sunday, October 11, 2009

Economics...what??

I am not sure if it was the lack of coffee or lack of sleep, but when Mary Hansen came to speak to our class, all I wanted to do was fall asleep. Not only did she tell us what we already knew, but she turned our class into an economics class. I don't really want to hear that "we need to try different things to figure out what we want to do" or "you won't necessarily do what you thought you were going to do", etc. I don't really want to hear what is okay or expected of us, I want to know exactly what steps I will need to take in order to pursue a possible major.

This is the shortest blog I've ever written, but there wasn't much to reflect on this week. All I know is I'm kind of sick of these speeches because they are starting to blend together and I can't remember who said what.

2 comments:

  1. I really hope this does not sound like a personal attack against you, but people cannot always hand you the answers.

    We are taking this class to get an insight on what other people have done to find themselves, their careers, and basically their futures. As amazing as it would be if people could literally tell us the answers, the truth is everyone is different and the answers are not known.

    I think what we are starting to see a pattern. Basically what these people are saying is to really let like take you where it goes. I like to see life as a path, not one with many branches where you make decisions, but rather a winding path that takes you in different directions as time goes on.

    <3 Sasafras

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really think she turned it into an economics class. She only started talking about economics in earnest when she was asked about it. And even then she was only asked an economics question after a long awkward silence made it clear that the discussion of "finding oneself" was over.

    Now that isn't to say I agree totally with this whole go with the flow thing our speakers have been talking about. Our knowledge on this is rather onesided. We're only hearing from the people who's going with the flow got them where they wanted to go. Unfortunately I can also think of forty year old Mcdonald's employees for whom going with the flow did not work.

    All I'm saying is that in this competative job market give yourself a plan b

    ReplyDelete