Thursday, October 15, 2009

Invisible Man

I enjoyed our conversation about The Invisible Man, but I felt like we never came to a final conclusion. Was joining the Brotherhood a good thing for the narrator or bad? I personally think it was necessary because throughout the novel, the narrator is trying to figure out his identity. I don't think he ever really knew who he was and had always done what his superiors had told him to do. From Mr. Norton, to Bledsoe, to Brother Jack, the narrator just goes with the flow. I didn't really understand the ending, but from what it sounds like, he finally has a grasp on who he would like to be. I was a little disappointed by the ending because it was unclear what he was going to do from then on, but I liked the idea of the book as a whole.

Now onto a tangent subject....

It's almost halloween!! I am trying to convince the other girls to be Fanta girls with me. I tried to be a Fanta girl one year and made costumes with my friends for weeks, but then on the day of Halloween I got sick and couldn't go trick or treating! I'm going home this weekend (which I'm so excited about) and hopefully I will get some more costume ideas. We should definitely have a floor halloween party or something!

2 comments:

  1. Although I agree that joining the Brotherhood was a good thing for the Narrator, I have to disagree with you about the ending. I don't think that the narrator truly knows what he wants to do with his life yet. In the ending, all he decided was that maybe he had a purpose in life and chose not to be invisible in life anymore- but that was it. He is back to square one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand not getting the ending. the first time I read the novel, I had absolutely no clue what the narrator was getting at. This time around I did understand the ending a bit more, but I'm still not sure. I think that this is one of those books that you have to reread and reread to understand. I also think that looking at the book with a different goal in mind can also help you to understand the book. The first time I read Invisible Man, I was in a lit class looking at it as American lit, this time I was looking for ideas about identity. I really think that we'll just have to read it again.

    ReplyDelete