Sunday, October 11, 2009

Reflection: I noticed a trend between our speakers

So all of these guest speakers we've had come to class all seem to have the same story as to how they found their dream job: Chance.

Chance? Really? There are a lot of unlucky people in the world...Who's to say we won't be a part of them? I don't particularly enjoy the idea of not having any control over such a huge part of my future. I knew it wouldn't be a clear cut formula where you input problem-solving over here and add it to liberal arts and then subtract stupidity and get the ideal job. But still, there is no way I can go through college without a heading. I want to experiment but I don't want to just be blowing in the wind.

I'm also not a fan of the philosophy that nothing is a waste of time because you learned what you're not good at. I am a perfectionist. I don't do failure and I don't enjoy being bad at things. There's no way I would possibly reflect upon a failed class and say "Oh well, it was worth it. At least now I know I'm no good at it!" What a waste of my time and money. Maybe my way of thinking is naive, but I just can't call a semester of classes and money and time and work worth it if it was all torture.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if its character as "torture" is, however, determined by how you re-member it or re-call it to mind. Maybe meaning only emerges in retrospect. I wonder what Augustine and our invisible narrator would say to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They would probably have opposing characterizations of their choices and follies in life, likely based on their social and economic backgrounds.
    The invisible man would likely agree with allison had he chosen a job and stuck with it (as he originally intended to do) because that was his dream as a kid, not exploring a bunch of different careers for some special fulfillment to his spirit.
    Augustine, on the other hand, having been raised with a widely varying range of knowledge and experience pertaining to different careers, did seek a certain fulfillment in his job, thus explaining why he drifted from job to job of his own volition.

    ReplyDelete