Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Is AU a community?

AU is hard to define as either a community or not. When I think of a community, I think of a group of people who come together because of a commonalities they share. There are aspects of AU that I believe are not like a community at all. Students from all over the world have chosen (or were forced to choose) AU as their university, but because students are from all over, they tend to flock towards people like themselves. A good example is our University College. We make up a community within the larger population of AU. I think the AU is made up of smaller communities used to bring students together. Fraternities, clubs, sports, etc. all make up their own communities as well. There are leaders and there are members of these communities that strive to maintain the close-knit feel of the community. So I guess AU isn't a community in itself, but a large population with smaller communities in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment